During pregnancy and in the months after giving birth, there are a number of changes that occur within the body, and it is common to experience a wide variety of musculoskeletal symptoms. These include:
• Back pain and SIJ dysfunctions
• Pelvic pain and pubic symphysitis
• Abdominal pain or weakness, especially after Caesarean births
• Postural problems due to the weight of the growing baby, and/or positions when breast-feeding
• Pelvic floor weakness
• Ligament and muscle strains
• Abdominal muscle separation
• A variety of other symptoms including headaches, plantar fasciitis, carpal tunnel syndrome and sciatica.
At Active Physiotherapy we can help provide relief from these symptoms and manage the changes that occur during pregnancy and after childbirth. We are also trained in providing specific advice on appropriate exercise throughout these stages.